- Translator's Introduction
- Chapter 1
- 1. The Beginning of the Belief in the Mahdi
2. The Mahdi from among the Descendants of the Prophet
3. The Sunni hadith on the Subject of the Mahdi
4. The Objection Raised by One of the Authors
5. Ibn Khaldun and the Traditions about the Mahdi
6. Other Opinions from Ibn Khaldun
7. The Existence of the Mahdi is Certain
8. People Awaited the Appearance of the Mahdi
9. The Discussion among the Companions and the Subsequent Generations
10. The Jurists of Medina and the Mahdi Traditions
11. The Poetry of Di'bil and the Mahdi
- Chapter 2
1. The Pseudo-Mahdis
2. Manipulation of the Beliefs of the People
3. Fabrication of the Traditions
4. The Family of the Prophet and the Eleven Imams' Predictions about the Mahdi
5. Are these Traditions about the Mahdi Authentic?
- 1. Mahdiism, the Jews, and the Iranians
2. The Reasons for the Emergence of Belief in the Mahdiism
3. Does it Really Need Explication?
4. The Legend of 'Abd Allah b. Saba
5. The Messianic Leader, Mahdi, in Other Religions
6. The Qur'an and Mahdiism
7. The General Prophethood and the Imamate
8. What System Can Make Human Beings Prosperous?
9. The Other-worldly Prosperity
10. The Path of Perfection
11. The Infallibility of the Prophets
12. Rational Proof in Support of the Imamate
13. Textual Proof for the Necessity of the Imamate
- Chapter 4
- 1. The Unseen World and the Imam of the Age
2. Will the Imam Be Born at the End of the Time?
3. Descriptions Identifying the Mahdi
4. Mahdi Is Among the Descendants of Husayn b. 'Ali
5. What If the Mahdi Was Well-known?
6. The Traditions from the ahl al-bayt Are Proofs for All Muslims
7. 'Ali b. Abi Talib, the Paragon of the Prophetic Knowledge
8. The Book of 'Ali b. Abi Talib
9. The Heirs to the Prophet's Knowledge
- Chapter 5
- 1. Who Was the Imam after Hasan 'Askari?
2. Those Who Saw the Imam of the Age When He Was Small
4. Why Was the Twelfth Imam Not Mentioned in the Will of Imam Hasan 'Askari?
5. Why Did Others Not Know about the Twelfth Imam's Birth?
6. The Mother of the Twelfth Imam
7. The Sunni 'Ulama' and the Birth of the Mahdi
- Chapter 6
- 1. Can a Five Year Old Boy Become an Imam?
2. The Gifted Children
3. Rising of the People when Naming the Qa'im
4. When Did the Story about the Occultation Begin?
5. The Books on the Subject of the Occultation before theBirth of the Twelfth Imam
6. The Short and Complete Occultation
7. The Short Occultation and the Contacts with the Shi'a
8. Were these Letters from the Imam in His Own Handwriting?
9. The Number of Deputies
10. 'Uthman b. Sa'id, the First Deputy
11. Muhammad b. 'Uthman, the Second Deputy
12. Husayn b. Ruh, the Third Deputy
13. 'Ali b. Muhammad Samarri, the Fourth Deputy
- Chapter 7
- 1. Why Did Not the Occultation Become Complete from the Beginning?
2. Is There Any Time Limit to the Complete Occultation?
3. The Philosophy of Occultation
4. What Danger Faced the Imam If He Were Visibly Present?
5. Why Is the Mahdi Afraid of Being Killed?
6. Does Not God Have the Power to Protect the Imam?
7. Is It Not Likely That the Unjust Rulers Would Have Submitted to Him?
8. He Should Remain Silent So That He Would Be Safe
9. He Could Have Negotiated a Treaty of Non-interference with the Rulers
10. Why Did He Not Appoint Special Deputies During the Complete Occultation?
11. What Is the Benefit of Having the Imam in Occultation?
12. The Twelfth Imam Endeavors to Defend Islam during the Occultation
- Chapter 8
- 1. The Sunni Books on the Characteristics of the Mahdi
2. The Occultation of the 'Alawid Leaders
3. Violations of Free Expression under the Caliphs
4. The Implications of the Situation
5. How Long Will the Hidden Imam Live?
- Chapter 9
- 1. The Research about Longevity
2. Is There Any Fixed Term for Human Age?
3. The Reasons for Longevity
4. Senility and Its Causes
5. The Long Life of the Twelfth Imam
6. The Article by Justin Glace
7. Research into the Matter of Longevity
8. Further Research on Longevity
9. New Research on Longevity
10. A Summary of a Russian Study on the Subject of Old Age
11. A Little Known Theory about the Cause of Death
12. Those Who Lived a Long Life in History
- Chapter 10
- 1. The Residence of the Twelfth Imam
2. The Story about the Countries that Belong to the Sons of the Imam
3. Jazira Khadra' (The Evergreen Island)
4. When Will He Appear?
5. The Signs of His Appearance
6. The Story of Sufyani
7. The Story of Dajjal
- Chapter 11
- 1. The Minds of the People Prepare for the Advent of the Mahdi
2. The Final Victory of the Downtrodden (mustad'afin)
3. Why Does the Mahdi Not Appear?
4. Another Reason for the Delay in the Appearance of the Mahdi
- Chapter 12
- 1. How Will the Imam Know That the Time for the Appearance (Zuhur) Has Come?
2. The Preparation for the Emergence Will Take Place Overnight
3. Awaiting Deliverance through the Appearance of the Imam
4. Investigation into the Traditions against the Rise (qiyam)
5. Governance within Religion
6. The Obligation to Command the Good and Forbid the Evil
7. Concluding Remarks
8. The Prophet as the Leader of the Muslims
9. Islamic Governance after the Prophet
10. 'Ali b. Abi Talib, the Designated Caliph of the Prophet of God
11. Islamic Governance during the Period of Occultation
12. The Obligations of Muslims during the Occultation
- Chapter 13
- 1. Further Investigation in the Hadith-Reports
2. First Group of Traditions
3. Second Group of Traditions
4. Third Group of Traditions
5. Fourth Group of Traditions
6. Conclusions of the Discussion
- Chapter 14
- 1. The Signs of the Appearance (Zuhur) of the Mahdi
2. The Destiny of the Unbelievers
3. The Destiny of Jews and Christians
4. Will the Majority of the Peoples on the Earth Be Killed?
5. The Teachings of Islam Will Be Proclaimed to the World from Qumm
6. "Your Enemies Will Destroy Each Other"
7. War Is Inevitable
8. The Mahdi's Defense
9. The World under the Mahdi
10. The Victory of the Prophets
11. The Mahdi and the New Constitution
12. The Conduct of the Mahdi
13. The Freshness of the Explanations Offered by the Mahdi
14. The Mahdi and Abrogation of the Ordinances
15. Is It Not Possible that the Mahdi Has Already Appeared?
16. Sayyid 'Ali Muhammad Shirazi, "the Bab"
17. Sayyid 'Ali Muhammad's Acknowledgement of the Hidden Imam's Existence
18. Sayyid 'Ali Muhammad and the Traditions about Fixing of the Time
19. What Do the Sayyid's Followers Say?
20. The Bayan and Messianic Claim
21. False Claims and the Existence of a Followership
- AL-IMAM AL-MAHDI The Just Leader of Humanity
- Index of AL-IMAM AL-MAHDI
- Translator's Introduction
- Chapter 1: The Beginning of the Belief in the Mahdi
- Chapter 2: The Pseudo-Mahdis
- Chapter 3: Mahdiism, the Jews, and the Iranians
- Chapter 4: The Unseen World and the Imam of the Age
- Chapter 5: Who Was the Imam after Hasan 'Askari?
- Chapter 6: Can a Five Year Old Boy Become an Imam?
- Chapter 7: Why Did Not the Occultation Become Complete from the Beginning?
- Chapter 8: The Sunni Books on the Characteristics of the Mahdi
- Chapter 9: The Research about Longevity
- Chapter 10: The Residence of the Twelfth Imam
- Chapter 11: The Minds of the People Prepare for the Advent of the Mahdi
- Chapter 12: How Will the Imam Know That the Time for the Appearance (Zuhur) Has Come?
- Chapter 13: Further Investigation in the Hadith-Reports
- Chapter 14: The Signs of the Appearance (Zuhur) of the Mahdi